How to Get Past Gatekeepers and Connect with Decision Makers
Lead generation is the lifeblood of any business. Unfortunately, even the best leads will do little good if a salesperson is unable to talk with a decision maker.
The biggest obstacle when it comes to connecting with decision makers is the dreaded gatekeeper. And the better the gatekeeper is at their job, the more difficult it is to get around them. Thankfully, there are ways to make it more likely that you will be able to do just that:
- Know Their Name: As soon as you find out the name of the receptionist, administrative assistant, or any other person that answers the phone, write it down and always call them by their name. Gatekeepers get a lot of calls from people trying to get to the decision maker but very few of those people call them by their name. The ones that do make a lasting impression.
- Always Be Friendly: No matter how many times you get turned down, it is critical to remain polite and respectful. Say please and thank you. One rude or pushy remark and you can be sure you will never talk to the decision maker.
- Be Honest: Trying to trick your way past the gatekeeper by saying you are someone you aren’t or by any other means is bound to backfire. No matter how tempting, don’t do it.
- Remember that Only the Decision Maker Can Say No: Gatekeepers do not make sales decisions. If they tell you the company isn’t interested in what you are selling, simply say “Thank you” and try again another day.
- Ask Questions: Gatekeepers know a lot about the company the work for. While no gatekeeper is going to volunteer information, when you ask questions like, “Is there someone else I could talk with?” or “Is there a better time to call?” you can uncover important information.
- Be Yourself: Gatekeepers are people just like you so try to build a good rapport them. The more (genuine) interest you show in them, the more likely they are to help you.
Getting past gatekeepers is never easy, but persistence really does pay off. Remember, these individuals aren’t trying to make your life miserable, they are just trying to do their job. Respect what they are trying to do and chances are they will do the same for you.
Tactical Telesolutions can help get past the gatekeepers, so your sales team can spend more time speaking with decision makers. To learn more, give us a call at (800) 700-7422 or visit us at https://www2.tacticaltelesolutions.com.